Above Rubies Daily Encouragement Blogs
Through the weekly and daily devotionals you can be constantly encouraged in your great role of parenting, the highest career in the nation. You can also stay updated on what's happening with the Above Rubies ministry.
DESCRIPTIVE TITLES OF THE ARK OF THE COVENANT, No. 3.
We continue the twelve descriptive titles of the Ark of the Covenant.
We are a covenanted people and as such we must keep God’s covenant in front of our eyes.
2) THE ARK OF THE COVENANT OF THE LORD
Numbers 10:33 “And they departed from the mount of the LORD three days journey: and the ark of the covenant of the LORD went before them in the three days’ journey, to search out a resting place for them.”
The ark contained the sacred covenant of the Lord which we all know was the Ten Commandments God gave to His people Israel. These commandments were written on stone by the finger of God. However, as great as the commandments were, they could not give the people the life of salvation God wanted them to experience.
Galatians 3:10-13 states: “For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. And the law is not of faith; but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us; for it is written, cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree.”
God provided a temporary sacrificial system to cover their sins until the Messiah, the eternal Lamb of God came and took upon Himself, not only the sins of the children of Israel, but praise God, the sins of the whole world.
The Ten Commandments were never given to solve their sinful nature, but rather to show them the holy, righteous, integrity of His kingdom laws. This covenant, consisting of ten main commandments went out in front the people to lead them to the next resting place. In other words, God revealed to His people the following:
1. The priority of His covenant in the leadership of His people.
2. Despite their sinful nature, they should never lose sight of the covenant.
3. They were led by a God of covenantal laws which made them a covenanted people.
4. God’s laws should always be before their eyes.
5. These laws which led them from one resting place to the next would always remind them of their failure to keep them. This failure brought a curse upon them (Deuteronomy 27:26 and Galatians 3:10).
6. Therefore, being reminded of the curse, they would not want it upon them and would daily desire the sacrificial blood of the lamb morning and evening. To remove it, they understood the blood was necessary to atone for their sins.
How will we repent if we do not know we have broken the covenant? Even as New Testament or New Covenant believers, we must still make certain that the commandments of Jesus are leading us by the help of the Holy Spirit who is always out in front leading us from rest to rest.
As fathers, it is our responsibility to keep the new covenant given through the blood of Jesus Christ. We must always keep it out in front of our families. His covenant will never fail to give us rest and peace.